Application Deadlines for Full Time AAP Services and Abilities Testing Retake
Screening for full-time services occurs during specific screening cycles:
- Fall screening is available for students who are new to FCPS since January 2022.
- The fall screening referral window is from the first day of school to October 15.
- The last day to submit a parent referral for the Fall screening is October 15, 2022.
- Spring screening is available for any Grade 2-7 FCPS-enrolled student.
- The spring screening referral window is from the first day of school to December 15.
- The last day to submit a parent referral for the Spring screening is December 15, 2022.
For more information, please visit the AAP website.
FCPS uses ability testing as one consideration of the holistic screening process for advanced academic services. Test scores are not weighted or prioritized in the holistic screening process.
- All students in Grade 1 take the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT).
- All students in Grade 2 take the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT).
- NNAT and/or CogAT may be administered to students in Grades 3-6 who do not have an ability test score during the regularly scheduled testing windows.
Parents or guardians may request a one-time retest of either the CogAT OR the NNAT in grades 3-6. Requests must be made during the fall testing windows. Please contact the school testing coordinator Mr. Kilpatrick, @email, by the deadline for retake requests; the CogAT deadline for retake has closed. The NNAT retest request deadline is October 21.
For more information or any questions, please contact Advanced Academic Resource Teacher, Esther Lee, @email.
AAP Parent Orientation Meeting Information
A parent information session will be held virtually on Wednesday, September 21, 2022 @ 1pm-2pm. An overview of the levels of AAP services and the identification & screening for Level IV services will be shared. A recording of the presentation will be made available for parents unable to attend the virtual session.
Please note for families (grades 3-6) new to FCPS boundaries as of January 1, 2022, the Fall 2022 parent referral due date is October 15, 2022.
For current FCPS families in grades 2-6, the parent referral due date is December 15, 2022.
Any questions? Please contact Esther Lee, Advanced Academic Resource Teacher, @email.